This visa allows you to migrate to Australia if you have competent English language and other skills and attributes which will contribute the most to the Australian economy.
This visa uses a points test to select visa applicants with characteristics needed in the Australian labour market.
You must be sponsored by an eligible relative living in Australia or obtain nomination from a participating State or Territory government agency.
This visa is for you if you:
- are under 50 years of age
- have competent English language skills
- have the skills and qualifications that meet the Australian standard for an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL)
The SOL is a list of skilled occupations of high value to the Australian labour market.
This visa also requires that either:
- you or your partner have an eligible relative living in Australia who is willing and able to sponsor you
- you have a nomination from a participating State or Territory government agency.
Note: All State and Territory governments in Australia are participating in this visa scheme.
This visa allows you and any secondary applicants included in your visa application to live as permanent residents in Australia.
Australian permanent residents can:
- live and work in Australia on a permanent basis
- study in Australia at school, Vocational Education and Training (VET) sector or university
- receive subsidised healthcare through Medicare and the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS)
- access certain social security payments (subject to waiting periods)
- be eligible for Australian citizenship (subject to the residency eligibility criteria)
- sponsor people for permanent residence.